Monthly Review: May 2017
16 Jul 2017
What went well this month
- Theatre: Having only seen one show this year so far, I managed to see a play and two musicals in May. I didn't enjoy the play, but My Fair Lady was fun, and Cabaret was even better.
- Launching Independence, the podcast I'm co-hosting. It's all about being an indie developer and what that takes. My co-hosts, Curtis and Jelly, both have lots of great experiences to share. Expect a new episode every two weeks.
✖️ Get custom tracking in Exist for iOS ready for beta testers
I knew this was an audacious goal, but it's my main focus re: Exist for iOS at the moment, so I went with it anyway. I did make some really great progress, but I'm not close to beta testing yet. I'm re-setting this goal for May, which is more realistic but will still take a big effort.
May's focus habit
Piano 20 minutes x 5 days/week
I didn't do this 5 days/week consistently, but I did about 3-4 sessions most weeks, and sometimes 5 or 6. I still need to work on being more consistent about practising, especially since learning piano is so hard that I often have to drag myself over to the bench to start playing. But I want to get better, which means I have to put in the time, even if it's hard.
Books and media
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, Yuval Noah Harari, 3/5
- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things Jenny Lawson, 2/5
- Once Were Warriors, 4/5
- The Eagle Huntress, 3/5
- Noise, 4/5
- Hidden Figures, 4/5
- Eagle vs Shark, 4/5
Goals for June
- Get custom tracking in Exist for iOS ready for beta testers
Focus habit for June
Piano, 5 days/week
This review will be featured in the next edition of The Monthly Review. If you like to read monthly reviews, sign up for the newsletter to get a collection of personal reviews in your inbox every month. If you write your own reviews, sign up to participate and share your reviews and your process with others.